| Summer Sermon Series: The Call of God |
About the Series
Senior Pastor David Carr will be preaching on six call stories from the Bible during June and July, beginning Sunday June 10th. These particular stories were selected because they are each about God leading or calling people to do something - leave home, lead revolutions, take risks, change jobs, change sides, have a baby, etc.
There are many stories like this in the Bible, but these were selected because they involve different people at different stages in their lives: older people, children, teenagers, men, women, couples. Also, the way that the people in the stories experience God’s leading or call are different in interesting ways.
The Calling of God
The questions we are inviting you to ask yourself over these two months are:
If God does indeed call us, then knowing what God is leading or calling us to do is a pretty big deal. On the other hand, thinking God is leading or calling us to do something if God is not - could be anything from wacky to delusional.
- Does God still call us today?
- Does God still lead and call people to do things, to take certain paths in our lives, to live in certain directions?
Pastor Carr's goal in these sermons is to pay attention to these particular six stories from the Bible, to try to read them as though we were reading them for the first time, and to see what we might learn about this idea of God leading or calling people.
- June 10 - 2nd Sunday after Pentecost: Abraham and Sarah, Genesis 12:1-9
- June 17 - 3rd Sunday after Pentecost: Moses, Exodus 3:1-12
- June 24 - 4th Sunday after Pentecost: Series Break - Rev. Katie Webb Preaching
- July 1 - 5th Sunday after Pentecost: Esther, Esther 4:9-17 (Holy Communion)
- July 8 - 6th Sunday after Pentecost: Samuel, I Samuel 3:1-19
- July 15 - 7th Sunday after Pentecost: Mary, Luke 1:26-38
- July 22 - 8th Sunday after Pentecost: Paul, Acts 9:1-19